WLC 2013: 3 weeks gone! 3 weeks STRONG!
We’re two weeks down and you’re still awesome. Here’s some supplemental stuff from the newsletter to help you through the next week of the Whole Life Challenge.
WLC Party Food
Nothing says appetizer party like a platter of Coconut Shrimp served with a tiny vat of cocktail sauce. But we all know fried shrimp usually has buttermilk or milk and flour and the cocktail sauce is loaded with sugar and preservatives. Well no more! Healthy food doesn’t have to be boring. Check out these two recipes for the perfect appetizer with a few friends or a fine meal of finger food.
- 1/2 c homemade (WLC-friendly) Ketchup
- 1/2 c chili sauce
- 1/4 c finely grated horseradish
- Hot red pepper sauce to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- 1 t Chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl mix first three ingredients together.
- Add red pepper sauce and lemon juice to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve at room temperature.
Cocktail sauce will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to one week.
Serves 2 (main course) / 3 – 4 (hearty appetizer) / 6 (stingy appetizer)
- 24 Raw Peeled and Deveined shrimp
- 1 cup mixed raw nuts
- 1 egg
- 1 – 2 cups coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- 1 t Salt
- 1 t Dried, ground Chimayo red chili
- 1/2 t ground pepper
- 1 Lime cut in to eighths
- Peanut oil to deep fry the shrimp
- Grind nuts in food processor until a coarse, sticky meal but definitely not a nut butter.
- Beat in egg, salt, chili, and pepper.
- Gently mix in shrimp until they’re all coated.
- Press shrimp into coconut flakes (or coat them shake and bake style in a clean bag).
- Deep fry until golden brown in peanut oil.
- Put on to a tray or plate, garnish with limes.
Serve immediately along with a tiny bowl of the cocktail sauce.
Mobility: C’est le pied!
The French got it right when they began describing something terrific as “C’est le pied!” or “It’s the foot!” Your feet work for you every day and if you take care of them with proper stretching and mobility practices, they’ll last you a life time. Check out this ankle and foot mobility routine from Martin Haley to keep your dogs from barking after a solid workout.