Whole Life ChallengeDay 27
Given enough time,
any man may master the physical.
With enough knowledge,
any man may become wise.
It is the true warrior who can master both
and surpass the result.
~ Tien T’ai
The Kitchen WOD: Crock Pot Cuisine
Fear not! This week’s Kitchen WOD has two recipes you can throw together in the morning and enjoy when you get home from work. From Paleopot.com we have Paleo Mango Coconut Chipotle Chicken (four ingredients and you only have to cut 2 of them). And from Allrecipes.com, we have a modified hearty vegan chili (we took out the corn).
Paleo Mango Coconut Chipotle Chicken
1 pound chicken (breasts or thighs).
- 1 can of coconut milk (we use TJ’s light coconut milk)
- 1 large softball sized mango or 2 small mangos. Look for one that is not quite ripe yet, nice and firm.
- 1 tablespoon of dried chipotle flakes.
- Dump your can of coconut milk into your slow cooker.
- Peel your mango and cut it into large and medium cubes.
- Throw your mango cubes along with the mango’s pit into your slow cooker. The meat on the pit will add flavor.
- Cut your chicken into cubes as well. Dump them into your cooker.
- Add your chipotle flakes and stir well.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Hearty Vegan Slow-Cooker Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon each of: ground cumin, dried oregano, & dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon each of: salt; and pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or more if needed
- 1 cup vegetable broth (more if needed)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the green, red, and yellow bell peppers, onions, and garlic until the onions start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Place the mixture into a slow cooker. Stir in spinach, corn, zucchini, yellow squash, chili powder, cumin, oregano, parsley, salt, black pepper, tomatoes, black beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, and tomato paste until thoroughly mixed. Pour the tomato sauce and vegetable broth over the ingredients.
- Set the cooker on Low, and cook until all vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 hours. Check seasoning; if chili is too thick, add more tomato sauce and vegetable broth to desired thickness. Cook an additional 1 to 2 hours to blend the flavors.
Source: Modified from AllRecipes.com to fit WLC guidelines.
Got a favorite recipe of your own or want to crowd source some culinary advice? Shoot an email to email@example.com with the subject line “WLC Food.”
Mobility: Join the Band
Turns out those giant rubber bands used to scale pull-ups have more than one use. Check out these two videos to learn how to use the bands at the gym or home to stretch your lats and pecs.
Need a band? Undisputed has you covered. Talk to Nate or Heather to see which band is the right one for you.
Not going to make it to the gym for your daily workout? No problem! CrossFit Santa Fe has you covered with 2 sweat-inducing, no equipment necessary workouts snagged from the Success Journal 3.0. This week: workouts #1 and 15.
# 10. Burpees
(because everybody loves Burpees)
- Pick a number between 50 and 150
- Do that many burpees.
#17. Five Rounds
- 10 Shuttle Runs
- 10 Burpees
Bonus: If you swore when you saw that both exercises had burpess, do ten more burpees for every letter in the words used.