Wednesday and Why women should Crossfit!
November 3, 2011
8 Reasons Why Women (Should) CrossFit
from the blog Site- ATHLETIC THERAPY – How exercise shapes us. www.athletic-therapy.com
By SMK Copy Write
I know I talk about CrossFit a TON on this blog (and I swear I don’t work for the company!). Thing is, with all that CrossFit has done for me, I feel it’s my duty to relay the vast benefits on to other women if only to educate and inform. Having said that, if you have an aversion to hard work, read no further.
But if you love the adrenaline rush of hitting new PBs (personal bests), constantly challenging yourself with new exercises and techniques, and always improving your fitness level, read on.
Here are 8 reasons why you (or a woman you love) should give CrossFit a shot:
1) It’s always challenging you to learn new exercises, so it keeps workouts fresh and exciting. Walking at an incline on the “dreadmill” 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week? No, thank you. There are more fun (and productive) things to be done!
2) It strengthens your core (WITHOUT doing 200 reps a day of ab-specific work). CrossFit includes so many compound exercises that whether or not it’s your goal, you will build core strength. So, once you inevitably peel away fat you’ll have some amazing abs to show for it.
3) It burns calories like crazy. Try doing one of the WODs (Workout of the Day) with running + compound lifts (like deadlifts, weighted squats, or cleans). It is not only exhausting but also brings you into a whole other realm of calorie burning. Workouts like this will keep you lean and mean.
4) You’ll get more muscular. And I’m talking about the lean, athletic, fat-burning, awesome kind of muscular. Don’t believe me? Check out this video and try to argue otherwise. “Skinny fat” is nowhere to be seen.
5) You will feel like the energizer bunny. I know, weird that exercising actually gives you energy, right? CrossFit is no exception.
6) It increases confidence in the gym. I have worked out with so many women who are deathly self-conscious about entering the “men’s area” of the gym. You know, where all the barbells and plates are (aka, the good stuff). After you bite the bullet and tackle a few of the heavier CrossFit workouts you’ll never harbor that fear again.
7) It increases confidence OUTSIDE of the gym. After completing a killer WOD, I can tell that my sense of accomplishment carries over into everyday life. I can tell that it does this for other women too. I taught a young female client how to back squat in the “men’s area” last night. She simply glowed with accomplishment afterwards… Or maybe that was just sweat?
8) It’s an investment in your future. Like you, I don’t want to suffer from bone density issues when I’m 50. I want my fitness level to bounce back as quickly as possible after I have kids. I want to continue to feel strong and powerful into my 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond. If you do too, now is the time to make the investment.
Here are some more resources about Women & CrossFit:
And if you want more from this point of view read:
Women- Quit lifting like Girls! by this same author : http://athletic-therapy.com/2011/11/08/women-resist-the-urge-to-lift-like-a-girl/
It’s SOOOO good!!!!! And maybe more pertinent after today’s strength WOD!!!!
3 Rounds for time:
30 Wall Balls
15 Pull Ups
15 Push Presses (115/ 75lbs)